13. SBJ GROUP
ONE HUNDRED WHITECHAPEL
LONDON E1 1JG
TEL: 020 7816 2000
FAX: 020 7816 2247
WEBSITE: WWW.SBJGROUP.CO.UK + WWW.SBJGROUP.CO.UK
FEE AND COMMISSION INCOME (2004): £65m
PRE-TAX PROFIT: N/A
NUMBER OF UK BRANCHES: 9
NUMBER OF UK EMPLOYEES: 700
CHIEF OFFICER: GEORGE BODEN, CHIEF EXECUTIVE
YEAR ESTABLISHED: 1977
SBJ was founded in 1977 and became a stock exchange-listed company in 1985. Chief executive George Boden and colleagues launched a management buy-out in December 1998.
During 1999, non-core businesses were disposed of through sale and in 2001 management and staff brought out their venture capital shareholders at that time, Graphite Capital Management.
In 2005 Capital Z Financial Services Partners acquired 51% of SBJ. Further sustained growth will be sought as consolidation takes place in each of the group's markets of insurance broking, administration and employee benefit consulting.
Turnover is split 66% corporate and 34% international market.
SBJ's principal shareholder is Capital Z Financial Services Partners, which holds 51% through a Bermudian special purpose vehicle. Management, staff and former staff members hold the remaining 49%.
MAIN LINES OF BUSINESS
Automotive; global casualty: international property; marine; MediCare; Nelson Steavenson; North America; North American Specie; professional indemnity; speciality.
SBJ Benefit Consultants, SBJ Stephenson, SBJ, Helix UK.