The stories making headlines this week


Liberty Mutual has taken a 51% stake in Quinn, which will receive a €200m (£180m) cash injection. The other 49% is now owned by Anglo Irish Bank and Quinn Insurance Holdings.


Aspen Insurance Holdings posted a net loss of $151.7m (£92m) in 2011’s first quarter, after an “exceptionally high level of natural catastrophes” pushed the (re)insurer’s combined operating ratio up 38 points to 148.5%.


Three Luton men were found guilty of a £5.3m insurance and mortgage fraud and sentenced to 11 years in jail after a five-year operation by Bedfordshire police.


Hastings Direct has named Mark Adams as its new chief financial officer. He was chief of accident manager Helphire, which cut 400 jobs last year.