Diners at a swanky West End restaurant couldn't help but see the funny side when a fire broke out.

The celebrity hot spot is renowned for its rude and surly service, but this time the waiting staff appeared to have a reason to be grim-faced.

The blaze resulted in more than £1m of damage, said loss adjusters Ashworth Mairs Group, and is believed to have started when a wok overheated.

The fire should have been contained easily. But flames were sucked into the restaurant's air extraction system and rapidly spread around the building.

No one was injured, but there was one casualty believed to be suffering from acute loss of face – the chef in charge of the wok has not been seen for a while.