Eating maggots can do you no harm. So says Capita McLarens. An unhappy shopper was reported last week to have opened a can of peeled tomatoes to find one stuffed with maggots.

She had already eaten two and became violently ill - for five days. But when she complained to Morrisons supermarket, which had sold her the tin, she received a letter from the loss adjuster acting on behalf of the supermarket.

It read: "We do not believe that any ingestion of the maggots would cause food poisoning and certainly not for five days."

And a leading gastroenterologist backed Capita McLarens in reports last week, explaining that eating maggots cannot harm anyone.

"It was probably nausea brought on by a psychosomatic reaction," was his diagnosis.

Similar to the feeling insurers get when they see a loss adjuster's bill?