In response to broker feedback, Royal & SunAlliance (R&SA) will launch an enhanced version of its Enterprise small business offering in July.

R&SA small business manager Simon Cooter said the new proposition, Enterprise +, was developed after research in 2002 indicated that brokers wanted R&SA to be more flexible about the types of small commercial business it underwrote through Enterprise. Brokers also wanted clearer communication about which type of business was suitable for Enterprise.

"The feedback from brokers was that the Enterprise offer was suitable for about 80% of small businesses, but they wanted a solution for the remaining 20%," he said.

Under the new proposition, Enterprise will cover all shop and office single rated package business, all van and business car commercial motor, property owners where the sum insured was less than £10m and combined business where the company's turnover is less than £1m.

Any small business outside of these parameters will be referred to Enterprise +, where more experienced underwriters will bespoke the Enterprise products to fit the risk.

Brokers have been notified this week of the new Enterprise + proposition, which will be launched in July through a series of roadshows.

Cooter said it will then be phased in, product by product over two to three months and further product innovations could follow.