Direct Line is to enter the Japanese car insurance market.

The insurer, which revolutionised the UK market in the 1980s by popularising direct selling over the telephone, is forming a joint with Yasuda Mutual, a leading Japanese life insurance mutual.

Yasuda Mutual will take a 60% stake in the venture while Direct Line will hold the remaining 40%.