Victims of flooding want freshwater first

Backchat was amused by the findings of a survey by Yorkshire flood defence manufacturer, Hesco Bastion, which reassuringly calls itself “the flood defence people”.

It would seem it has its fingers on the pulse, with 92% of the 2,000 respondents to the survey ranking a fresh water supply as a “very important” flooding-related issue. Reports that the other 8% chose beer were unconfirmed.

Given the “almost unanimous demand” for water that can be drunk, Backchat wonders what on earth the cheeky public might ask for next? State sponsored flood cover?

Well, according to the survey, they might end up needing it, with almost four fifths of respondents predicting “more flooding” in the UK over the coming decade.

Nostradamus would have been proud.