Hires are part of managing general ageny’s plans to become second largest farm insurer within three years


Rural Insurance has hired six staff from Towergate-owned BIB as it continues its drive to become the second largest farm insurer within three years.

James Leathley, Mark Williams, Andrew Atkinson, Holly Daniels, Kelly Shutt, and David Walker have been hired as underwriters and will be based in a new Darlington office.

About 65% of the farm insurance market is controlled by NFU mutual, according to Rural managing director Ian Barclay. He says MGA Rural competes with the NIG-owned FarmWeb, Towergate Underwriting and Aviva for the remaining 35%.

Barclay said: “Our growth targets will be achieved through great service and on hiring top-ranked specialist underwriters.

“They complement our team in the Harrogate HQ and our development underwriters based in broker offices in the north and the south-west of the UK.”  

“Rural is a company on the move and as these latest hires show, we are able to attract high quality talent to the business.”

The firm has also recruited Amanda Machin from Direct Line Group to strengthen the technical product team as product manager for farm and motor, based in Harrogate.

Barclay added: “We continue to look for high quality individuals to join Rural and help drive our business forward.”

The split-site operation in Darlington and Harrogate will enable Rural to step up its active recruitment of underwriters to support the regional sales team and bringing to the market a suite of refreshed products in the New Year, Barclay added.  

Rural which is owned by UK General and wrote £32m gross premium in the year to 31 March 2014.

Join the debate in our new LinkedIn specialist discussion forums