Six Newcastle United fans have lost the first leg of their battle to stop corporate hospitality boxes replacing their seats at St James's Park – but they are considering seeking a return match.
The high court ruled on Thursday, that the club could move the six who brought the case on behalf of 2,134 other season ticket holders using a legal expenses policy from intermediary Greystoke.
The fans now have 14 days to appeal and met yesterday (Wednesday) after Insurance Times went to press to decide their next step.
Kevin Miles, of the fans' Save Our Seats campaign, said their policy covers Newcastle's awarded costs so far of £120,000. But he added this sum could double if they lost an appeal. The fans would have to raise more money on top of the £37,000 premium they have already paid, otherwise the six who brought the case could face individual bills of around £15,000.
Brian Dunk, for Greystoke, said the firm continued to believe in the fans' case.
Newcastle United has said its plans for a corporate hospitality unit, part of a £45m redevelopment of the ground, would increase capacity by 15,000. But the fans argued they were entitled to the same seats for at least 10 years after buying £500 bonds in 1994.
Their case was backed by England coach and former Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan in a sworn witness statement.